Wednesday, February 11, 2015

My Big Fat Greek Scalloped Potato Gratin


I started with this recipe, but I didn't have any thyme, so I also omitted the nutmeg and seasoned it with salt, pepper, basil, oregano, mint and garlic. I was making a Greek meatloaf, so I kept the seasonings similar in the potato gratin as well. The one thing is, my scalloped potato dish take more like two hours to cook. I thought if I gave it 90 minutes I would be good, so I put the meat loaf into the oven next to it after the potatoes had cooked for 30 minutes. Then, an hour later, I am taking out the meatloaf, which was done, and tested the potatoes, which still needed more time. We will see if two hours of cooking time does the trick. I had this problem the last time I made scalloped potatoes, too. I think I should probably parboil the potatoes next time or slice them paper-thin. Sheesh!

Recipe from the SLO Veg website:

Scalloped Potato Gratin ( Russet Potatoes/Garlic/Thyme)) 


Servings: 4-6  Level: Easy
Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 sprig fresh thyme
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Butter
2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and
  cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for broiling
 
Directions: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a saucepan, heat up the cream with a sprig of thyme, chopped garlic and nutmeg. While cream is heating up, butter a casserole dish. Place a layer of potato in an overlapping pattern and season with salt and pepper. Remove cream from heat, then pour a little over the potatoes. Top with some grated Parmesan. Make 2 more layers. Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Sprinkle some more Parmesan and broil until cheese browns, about 5 minutes.

My version:
Same recipe as above, only substitute the thyme and nutmeg for 1/2 tsp. each dried basil, oregano, and mint. It would probably have been even better with some feta cheese in there, but I used it all up in my Greek meat loaf.




No comments:

Post a Comment