Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Greek meat loaf with turkey

Greek seasoned meat loaf topped with barbecue sauce and sliced tomatoes
I decided to make a turkey meat loaf with a bit of a Greek twist: I flavored it with feta cheese and chopped spinach, and seasoned it with lemon juice, mint, oregano and basil, plus salt, pepper and garlic. I didn't measure anything, I just added about a teaspoon of each herb and about two teaspoons of a garlic-salt-pepper blend I have to three pounds of ground turkey. Then I added about a half cup of feta cheese and about one cup of chopped spinach. I had a recipe for turkey burgers that called for all of that, so I figured it would work in a meat loaf, too. I added 1/2 cup of bread crumbs and a raw egg to bind it together. I baked it at 350 degrees for one hour, then topped it with some bottled barbecue sauce and let it cook for another 10 minutes. In hind sight, I should have put some sliced tomatoes on top. Maybe I will after its cooked. Yeah, good idea.

Greek Turkey Meatloaf

3 lbs. ground turkey
2 tsp. garlic-salt-pepper blend
1 tsp. each basil, oregano, mint
1 tbls. lemon juice
1 egg
1 cup chopped fresh spinach
1/2 cup feta cheese
1/2 cup bread crumbs
bottled barbecue sauce
sliced fresh tomatoes



Mix together the turkey with the seasonings, lemon juice, and egg. Stir in spinach, feta cheese and bread crumbs. Spoon into an 8x8 casserole dish and smooth out the top. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 1 hour. Top with barbecue sauce and bake for 10 more minutes. Top with fresh sliced tomatoes, cut into nine squares and serve.

Meatloaf mix all ready for the oven

No comments:

Post a Comment